There Is No Stopping A Zika Virus Outbreak In The United States According To Brazilian Medical Advisor Doctor Sergio Cortes

The alarm has been set off. The Zika virus has landed in the United States. More than 109 cases of the Zika virus have been reported in 26 states. Dr. Sergio Cortes, Brazil’s chief medical advisor, told his LinkedIn followers that is how the Zika epidemic started in Brazil.
A few cases of the virus were reported last spring in the hot and humid Northeastern region of Brazil. Dr. Cortes thought he knew how the cases developed. The Aedes aegypti mosquito has spread dengue and other virus in Brazil for years, and that species carries the Zika virus too. As soon as Cortes had enough information about the Zika cases, he posted what was known about the virus on his official website.
What is known about Zika is much less that what is unknown about the virus. In Africa and Asia, Zika only cause flu-like symptoms, but in Brazil the virus is the primary suspect in the microcephaly outbreak in the same state in Brazil. On his Facebook page, Dr. Cortes said there are more than 5,000 cases of microcephaly in Brazil this year. Before 2015, there were only 150 cases reported every year.
Dr. Cortes started to tweet about the spread of Zika. Neighboring South American countries began to report Zika infections, and before long, there were thousands of reported cases and thousands of cases that weren’t reported. Only 80 percent of the people infected with the virus develop a fever, rash, and muscle aches. The other 20 percent don’t know they are infected, and that’s a problem. New research, and a number of reported cases in the United States, show that Zika may be transmitted through human contact.
If that is the case, and Dr. Cortes thinks it is because of the rapid spread of the virus through the Americas and the Caribbean, then the United States is the next target for a massive Zika virus epidemic. The U.S. Congress is dragging its feet and hasn’t approve funding to prevent the epidemic, but U.S. companies are contributing to the effort to control the spread of the disease.
The chance of developing a vaccine in time for the spring and summer seasons in the U.S. is nil, according to Dr. Cortes. A vaccine won’t be available for at least a year, and it may be longer than a year depending on test results. The truth is, the United States and Europe are in for a major outbreak of Zika, and there isn’t much anyone can do to prevent it especially if the human to human transmission theory is correct. Spraying mosquito breeding grounds will help, but the Aedes aegypti mosquito can breed in clean water in warm weather, so eradicating the pest is wishful thinking.